Speech and language therapist
Position: Speech & Language Therapists (available on a flexible basis)
Location: Yorkshire wide
Responsible to: Charity Manager
Salary: £30-£40 per hour – (travel expenses & travel time to be discussed)
Speak With IT are looking to develop a network of qualified Speech & Language therapists working across Yorkshire who will support our charity to ensure every person we support with aphasia is receiving the best support possible from our growing network of Volunteer Speech Support Workers.
The charity mainly receives referrals from SLTs in hospitals which provides the initial guidance we need prior to matching them with a Volunteer Speech Support Worker who lives locally to them. However, we do accept ‘word of mouth’ referrals from family members and carers and in these cases there is no completed referral form and therefore no qualified guidance for the Volunteer Speech Support Worker. This is where we would like a qualified SLT to now become involved by visiting the person with aphasia and conducting an assessment of their needs which would lead to a referral form being completed. This referral form would then be passed to the Speak With IT team who would begin the process of supporting the person.
The charity also provides help for people applying for grants to pay for computer therapy programs and it may be the SLT is called upon to write letters of support for clients they have completed referral forms for.
There is the potential for Speech & Language therapists who do apply for this role to support the charity with the training of Volunteer Speech Support Workers and providing updated assessments for clients who were discharged from NHS support some time ago.
Speak With IT is a Yorkshire based charity that helps people with aphasia. Aphasia can follow a stroke or brain injury and the condition not only affects a person’s ability to speak and/or comprehend, it can also have a devastating impact on other aspects of their life. We specialise in using computer therapy to support people with aphasia and were awarded funding from the Big Lottery in 2017 to develop our support in Yorkshire.
To support the continued growth of the charity we are now looking to develop a network of qualified Speech & Language therapists working across Yorkshire who will take responsibility for completing client referral forms where no referral from a hospital has been received. A strong knowledge of the various available computer therapy programs is required, in particular Step by Step, React 2, Tactus Therapy and Cuespeak. If required, the SLT will be asked to support client grant applications by writing letters of support for people where they have completed referral form and to provide updated assessments for clients who have been discharged from NHS support some time ago.
- Visit ‘word of mouth’ referrals and complete an assessment of needs
- Complete Client Referral Form and send onto Speak With IT
- Support grant applications by writing letters of support
- Provide updated guidance on existing clients who have been discharged from NHS support some time ago
- Hold a recognised Speech and Language Therapy Bsc level qualification or equivalent
- Be a registered member of the HCPC
- Be a registered member of the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists with a current licence to practice
- Strong knowledge of computer therapy programs, in particular Step by Step, React 2, Tactus therapy and Cuespeak
- Be an excellent communicator – both written and verbally
- Have excellent interpersonal skills – including observation, listening and empathy skills
Please apply with a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For an informal discussion about the role contact James on 01924 888608
Closing Date: Sunday 21st October 2018