Chair of Trustees Role
Chair of Trustees Role
Speak With IT is an ambitious charity whose mission is to improve the wellbeing of people with aphasia and their Carers. We are looking for a Chair of Trustees who is a true leader and who can bring a fresh
perspective as we move through the next critical period for our charity.
Speak With IT are currently primarily funded via a National Lottery Reaching Communities grant until July 31st 2023. The charity is seeking to diversify its income and the incoming Chair will be expected to add to the current approach and ensure the sustainability of the charity beyond the current grant period.
What will you be doing?
The role of the Chair is ultimately to take the lead on ensuring that trustees comply with their duties and the charity is well governed. The Chair also provides leadership and development support to the Chief Executive. We estimate a commitment of around one and half days each month for this role.
The board of trustees currently meet every 6 weeks with board papers sent to trustees one week prior to the trustee meeting. The Chair would also be expected to take part in a minimum of one sub-committee which would be one of Governance & Risk, Performance, Finance and Fundraising. They would chair the AGM.
What are we looking for?
The successful candidate will have a solid understanding of the strategic role of Trustees, excellent meeting and presentation skills, a supportive and confident leadership style and strong understanding of monitoring and evaluation.
In addition to good knowledge of the third sector, an understanding of aphasia would be valuable, but not essential.
- To hold a key leadership role in developing and driving the strategy for Speak With IT, upholding the organisation’s mission and aims.
- To chair meetings of the Board of Trustees, ensuring that the board functions effectively and carries out its duties.
- To support and review the work of the Chief Executive.
- To ensure that the Trustees set overall strategy and policy objectives.
- To work with the Chief Executive to identify training priorities for the board of Trustees and the staff team.
- Ensure that a clear annual plan and budget is agreed to measure and assess organisational performance.
- To ensure regular communication with trustees and members and host trustee meetings in line with the governing document, including the AGM.
- To serve as a spokesperson for and promoter of the organisation.
- To provide Company Secretarial at Companies House and Charities Commission.
How to apply
To apply, please email an expression of interest to James Major, Chief Executive Officer, of no more than two sides of A4 which outlines how you meet the role requirements. The email to send this to is firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are interested in finding out more about the role, please contact the Chief Executive Officer, James Major directly on 01924 888608.
The application and selection process will involve informal conversations with Trustees and opportunities to find out more.
Deadline for applications: Friday 1st October at 5pm.