Speech & Language Therapist
Speech & Language Therapist
Position: Speech & Language Therapist – (available on a flexible basis)
Location: West Yorkshire
Responsible to: Charity Manager
Fee Scale: £30-£40 per hour – (travel expenses & travel time to be discussed)
Speak With IT are looking to recruit a Speech & Language Therapist (SLT) working across West Yorkshire who will support the charity to ensure every person we support with aphasia is receiving the best support possible from our growing network of Volunteer Speech Support Workers.
The charity mainly receives referrals from SLT’s in hospitals which provides the initial guidance we need prior to matching people with aphasia with a Volunteer Speech Support Worker who lives locally to them. However, we do accept ‘word of mouth’ referrals from family members and carers and in these cases there is no completed referral form and therefore no qualified guidance for the Volunteer Speech Support Worker. This is where we would like the SLT to visit the person with aphasia and conduct an assessment of their needs which would lead to a referral form being completed. This referral form would then be passed to the Speak With IT team who would begin the process of supporting the person.
The charity also provides help for people applying for grants to pay for computer therapy programmes and it may be the SLT is called upon to write letters of support for clients they have completed referral forms for.
The SLT may also be required to provide updated assessments for Speak With IT clients who were discharged from NHS support some time ago.
Speak With IT is a Yorkshire based charity that helps people with aphasia to improve their ability to communicate using technology. Aphasia can follow a stroke or brain injury and the condition not only affects a person’s ability to speak and/or comprehend, it can also have a devastating impact on other aspects of their life. The charity is currently funded until July 31st 2020 and without future funding this role would cease at that point. The charity is hopeful of renewed funding beyond this point and if successful this role would continue beyond July 31st 2020.
To support the continued growth of the charity we have developed a network of qualified Speech & Language therapists working across Yorkshire who take responsibility for completing client referral forms where no referral from a hospital has been received. If required, the SLT will be asked to support client grant applications by writing letters of support for people where they have completed a referral form and to provide updated assessments for clients who have been discharged from NHS support some time ago.
- Visit ‘word of mouth’ referrals and complete an assessment of needs
- Complete Client Referral Form and send onto Speak With IT
- Support grant applications by writing letters of support
- Provide updated guidance on existing clients who have been discharged from NHS support some time ago
- Hold a recognised Speech and Language Therapy BSC level qualification or equivalent
- Be a registered member of the HCPC
- Be a registered member of the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists with a current licence to practice
- Strong knowledge of computer therapy programs, in particular Tactus Therapy, Cuespeak, React 2 and Step by Step
- Commitment to keeping up to date with changes in the field of computer therapy.
- Be an excellent communicator – both written and verbally
- Have excellent interpersonal skills – including observation, listening and empathy skills
Please apply with a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For an informal discussion about the role contact James on 01924 888609
Closing Date: Wednesday 5th February 2020 at 5pm